Irvine Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
We are motorcycle accident attorneys in Irvine helping victims recover compensation
Whether you ride for either fun weekend getaways or a weekday commute, there are few places that are better suited or more beautiful to do so than in Irvine, California. We have the extensive roadway systems, the beautiful scenery, and the ideal weather for heading out on your bike at any time of the year. Unfortunately, Irvine also sees its share of dangerous motorcycle accidents.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by another motorist’s negligence, you need to consult with Blair & Ramirez LLP—an Irvine motorcycle lawyer attorney—as soon as possible. Call us at (213) 568-4000 for a free consultation.
Request A Free Consultation
Your personal injury lawyers in Orange County, California
Motorcycle accidents occur on a regular basis, and they are often caused by the negligence of other motorists. In relation to the vehicles with which they share the road, motorcycles are much smaller and lighter. As a result, they are more difficult to see and more vulnerable to traffic accidents.
When you take to the road on your bike, you have nothing to protect you from the impact of an accident other than your helmet and safety gear. As such, the physical and financial damage of any accident is likely to be immense. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by another driver’s negligence, you need an Orange County personal injury lawyer on your side.
The statistics behind motorcycle accidents
According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, there are many sobering statistics related to motorcycle accidents in the United States:
- Nearly 5,000 motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents in 2017.
- Motorcyclists are 28 times more likely (per mile driven) to be killed in a traffic accident than other drivers are.
- In 2017, motorcyclists accounted for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities—up from 5.7 percent in 1994.
While motorcycle fatalities were down overall in 2017, motorcyclists remain extremely overrepresented in traffic fatality statistics. If you or someone you care about has been injured—or worse—in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent motorist, trusted an experienced Irvine motorcycle accident lawyer to help you recover compensation for your losses.
Motorcycle accident damages
The damages associated with motorcycle accidents are often extensive. Motorcycles don’t have the protective shell that the cars and trucks on our roads do, and as such, motorcyclists typically fare the worst in traffic accidents. To begin with, there are the considerable medical costs associated with these dangerous accidents, including:
- Emergency transportation from the scene of the accident and on-scene emergency care
- Surgical care and aftercare
- Treatment from doctors, specialists, and therapists
- Prescription medications
- Physical therapy
- Adaptive physical devices
The medical costs alone can be immense, but there are also other expenses to consider:
- A serious motorcycle accident is likely to keep you off the job for a considerable amount of time. Not only will you potentially lose wages, but you could also experience a diminished earning potential into your future, and the course of your career could be irrevocably altered.
- The emotional damages associated with a motorcycle accident that leads to serious injury can be debilitating. The damages associated with a serious motorcycle accident can be difficult to overestimate.
Common motorcycle accidents
While Irvine and the surrounding areas see every type of motorcycle accident imaginable, there are certain types of accidents that occur more frequently than others. These include:
- Head-on accidents, in which the other motorist drifts or veers into the oncoming lane.
- Left-turn accidents, in which the other motorist takes a left at an intersection (or into an entrance of a parking lot) without paying close attention to oncoming traffic.
- Lane-sharing accidents in which the other motorist fails to observe the motorcycle with which he or she shares the lane. California’s lane-splitting laws make this a common accident type in our state.
- Accidents caused by impaired motorists.
- Accidents caused by distracted motorists.
- Accidents caused by fatigued motorists.
- Accidents caused by poorly maintained roadways and/or roads strewn with debris.
Any of these accidents can be deadly at any speed. Every motorist is responsible for sharing the road safely. When a driver fails to adequately uphold this responsibility, he or she should be held accountable for any accidents that ensue.
Common motorcycle accident injuries
Every motorcycle accident is unique, but these dangerous accidents often result in specific types of serious injuries, including:
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
Traumatic brain injuries are caused by impact to the head, such as the impact often endured in motorcycle accidents. Even when the biker is wearing a helmet, TBIs can still occur. Because TBIs affect the brain, they are serious and unpredictable injuries with a strong psychological component. In fact, many victims of serious TBIs liken the effects to an altered sense of self, including losing touch with the person you know yourself to be. The negative consequences of this are difficult to overstate.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can occur anywhere on the spine. These injuries are slow to heal—if they heal at all—and often lead to decreased mobility and chronic pain for the victim. When especially serious, a spinal cord injury can lead to complete, permanent paralysis below the injury site.
A broken bone is an exceedingly painful injury that is slow to heal. When a broken bone doesn’t heal correctly, it can be permanently debilitating.
Burns, Cuts & Abrasions
Burns, cuts, and abrasions are so common to motorcycle accidents that there is even a name for them—”road rash.” When a motorcyclist is involved in a traffic accident, he or she is often dragged across the roadway in the process. The resulting burns, cuts, and abrasions are not only painful and slow to heal but can also become infected and develop into even more complex injuries. Further, these injuries can be disfiguring, especially when on or near the face.
The impact of a motorcycle accident is so great that ruined limbs are not uncommon. The damages associated with losing a leg or arm are so great that it can be difficult for most people to imagine.
If a motorist has left you injured in a bike accident, you should consult with an experienced Irvine motorcycle accident attorney today.
Staying safe here in Irvine
While there is no way to account for the negligence of other drivers, there are certain steps that you can take to reduce your risk of sustaining a serious injury when you ride:
- Make it your habit to always don a full-face helmet that’s approved by the Department of Transportation. Light-colored helmets provide maximum visibility. Cyclists who don’t wear helmets are at a far greater risk of suffering a serious TBI in an accident.
- Wear protective gear that includes heavy-duty outerwear designed for motorcyclists. This can cushion you from a fall and protect you against road rash in the event of an accident that sends you sprawling onto the pavement. Also, don't forget to wear protective eyewear and durable boots.
- Make sure your outerwear incorporates bright, reflective elements that help other motorists see you, especially in low-light, dawn / dusk, or fog conditions here in Southern California.
- Don’t get on your bike if you are impaired by drugs or alcohol. Every driver knows that driving under the influence is an exceedingly dangerous practice. Naturally, this also applies to motorcyclists.
- Never allow anything to distract you from riding safely. Also, remember that distracted drivers are out there, so remain alert. Unfortunately, motorists are becoming more and more distracted, and their smartphones are often the culprit. Drive defensively: be prepared to stop, change lanes, or do whatever it takes to avoid getting into an accident with a distracted driver.
- Never ride while drowsy.
- Always adhere to the rules of the road, including obeying the speed limit.
- Avoid riding when the weather is bad, and school yourself on what to do if you find yourself on the road when the weather turns against you.
Our other legal services in Irvine, Orange County:
Protecting your rights after a motorcycle accident
If another driver leaves you injured in a motorcycle accident, there are specific steps that you should take, including:
- Seek immediate medical attention. This is not only in the best interest of your health, but also in the best interest of your case.
- Closely follow your doctor’s instructions. Your health and your case likely hinge upon this.
Keep your medical records organized and accessible. These will serve to back up your claim and to demonstrate your medical expenses.
- Work closely with our team. As an experienced Irvine motorcycle accident attorney, we can help ensure that your rights are well-protected and that you obtain the compensation you need to make your fullest recovery.
- Avoid social media. This may seem like an odd consideration, but many accident victims post pictures on social media that come back to haunt their cases. A picture tells a story, and if the story you are telling can be misconstrued to deny any part of your claim, it likely will be by an insurance company. Act as if the insurer is almost certainly watching and waiting for you to trip up and inadvertently reveal something that can be used to devalue your case. Erring on the side of caution and avoiding social media altogether is your best option.
Call us today to schedule a free case evaluation with a motorcycle accident attorney in Irvine
Bikers are exceedingly vulnerable to serious injuries in motorcycle accidents caused by negligent motorists. If you’ve been injured, you need a dedicated Irvine and Orange County motorcycle accident attorney on your side. Motorcycle accidents are closely associated with considerable physical, financial, and emotional costs, and obtaining adequate compensation from the insurance company is critical to your ability to successfully travel the road toward recovery.
To schedule a free case evaluation with a motorcycle accident lawyer, call Blair & Ramirez LLP today at (213) 568-4000, or contact us online.